This is the area of Grandview Highway in Vancouver from 1956. The street running left/right at the bottom of the image is Renfrew Street and we’re looking back towards Burnaby. It’s amazing how much this industrial area has changed.
This is Keith Road West in North Vancouver from 1948. The two cross streets are Forbes Avenue and Jones Avenue. You can see the St. Thomas Aquinas Regional Secondary School in the lower-left corner and Mahon Park in the background.
This is the ferry terminal in the “old city” part of Nanaimo from 1955.
This chunk of farmland will be the site of the McCleery Golf Course in the Kerrisdale area of Vancouver. The image is from 1957 and the course opened in 1959.
This is Mahon Park and the Lt. Col. J.P. Fell Armoury in North Vancouver from 1948. For reference, Mahon Park is located at the corner of Jones Avenue and West 16th Street.
This is a higher altitude shot of the area east of Mission during the big flood of 1948. The flood affected Nicomen Island, Deroche, Dewdney, Dewdney Peninsula, Hatzic and Mission Flats. A total of 13,135 acres of agricultural land were flooded by the Fraser with 514 houses lost to flood waters.
This image shows the construction of a giant ski jump in Empire Stadium. In April of 1958, a 50m high ski jump was constructed for the 3-day long “Centennial Invitational Tournament.” It took the 25-man crew 13 days to set up the structure. Two machines capable of converting 300-pound blocks of ice into “snow” in…
This is a view of James Bay and Ogden Point in Victoria from 1956.
This is the Austin Avenue and Blue Mountain Street area of Coquitlam from 1959.
This is the waterfront of White Rock from July 8, 1952.